According to worldatlas.com
View 15+ moreView 15+
The Metropolitan Museum
The Metropolitan Museum
The Art Institute of Chicago
National Gallery of Art
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Minneapolis Institute of Art
What is the largest museum in America?
This article takes a look at the largest art museums by area.
- Louvre. The Louvre, located in Paris, France, is the largest art museum in the world with an area size of 782,910 square feet.
- State Hermitage Museum.
- National Museum of China.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art.
What is the largest art museum in the United States?
Metropolitan Museum of Art
What is the most visited museum in the US?
These are the most visited museums in America
- National Air and Space Museum. Washington, DC | 7,000,000 visitors.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art.
- National Museum of Natural History.
- National Gallery of Art.
- American Museum of Natural History.
- National Museum of American History.
- The Museum of Modern Art.
- National Museum of African American History and Culture.
Which museum was the most visited in the US in 2018?
In 2018, the most visited Smithsonian museums were the National Museum of Natural History and the National Air and Space Museum.
What is the smallest museum in the world?
Several museums lay claim to the title of “world’s smallest”—the MMuseumm in New York City is housed inside an elevator shaft, while a teeny converted shed in the town of Superior, Arizona calls itself the World’s Smallest Museum by coming in at just 134 square feet.
What is the oldest museum in America?
What is the number one museum in the US?
TripAdvisor’s top museum in the world for two years now, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is America’s largest, as TripAdvisor says, “home to more than two million works that span more than two million square feet” including “can’t-miss works from Rembrandt, Degas, van Gogh, Renoir, Manet, Monet, Picasso and more.”
Which is the most visited museum in the world?
List of most visited museums
- Musée du Louvre, Paris, France.
- National Museum of China, Beijing, China.
- Smithsonian Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C., United States.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, United States.
- Vatican Museums, Vatican City.
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum, Shanghai, China.
What is the largest natural history museum in the world?
The Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History, located at 10th Street and Constitution Avenue N.W., Washington, D.C., is one of the most visited natural history museums in the world. Opened in 1910, the museum houses the world’s largest collection of natural history specimens and artifacts.
What is the best museum in the world?
Top 20 Must-See Museums Around the World
- 8: The National Archaeological Museum (Greece)
- 7: The National Palace Museum (Taiwan)
- 6: The State Hermitage Museum (Russia)
- 5: Vatican City (Italy)
- 4: Galleria degli Uffizi (Italy)
- 3: The Natural History Museum (London)
- 2: The Louvre (Paris)
- 1: The British Museum (London)
What’s the best Smithsonian Museum?
The best way to do DC? For free, thanks to these no-admission museums on the National Mall.
- 1 National Gallery of Art.
- 2 U.S. Botanic Garden.
- 3 National Air & Space Museum.
- 4 United States Holocaust Memorial Museum.
- 5 National Museum of Natural History.
- 6 National Museum of American History.
Is the Met the biggest museum?
The Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the world’s largest and finest art museums. Founded in 1870, the Metropolitan Museum is located in New York City’s Central Park along Fifth Avenue (from 80th to 84th Streets). Last year it was visited by 4.7 million people.
What is the busiest museum in the world?
The most visited museums in the world
|Rank||Museum||Number of visitors|
|2||National Museum of Natural History||8,000,000|
|3||National Museum of China||7,450,000|
|4||National Air and Space Museum||6,970,000|
16 more rows
What is the most visited museum in Europe?
Some of the most visited European museums are as follows:
- Natural History Museum, London – 4.6 Million Visitors.
- The State Hermitage Museum – 4.1 Million Visitors.
- Museo Reina Sofía, Madrid – 3.3 Million Visitors.
- Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris – 3.2 Million Visitors.
- Science Museum, London – 3.2 Million Visitors.
Which museum has the most visitors?
TOP 10 MOST VISITED MUSEUMS WORLDWIDE
- The Louvre, Paris – 8.1 million visitors (+9.5%)
- National Museum of China, Beijing – 8.063 million visitors (+6.8%)
- National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C. – 7 million visitors (-6.7%)
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City – 7 million visitors (+4.5%)
What is the oldest museum in the world?
Who opened the first major museum in the United States?
The Charleston Museum was founded in 1773 and opened to the public in 1824. In 1920, when the museum hired Laura Bragg as its director, she became the first woman to direct a publicly funded art museum in America. The museum’s present building was completed in 1980 at 360 Meeting Street, Charleston, South Carolina.
What is the most famous museum in Italy?
Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence. One of the most popular museums in Italy, the Uffizi Gallery houses a huge collection of works of art, many from the Renaissance, and includes masterpieces known the world over, such as Botticelli’s Birth of Venus and Primavera.
How many types of museum are usually there?
In this article, museums are classified into five basic types—general, natural history and natural science, science and technology, history, and art. A more recent kind of museum—the virtual museum—transcends all other types by virtue of its unique electronic presentation and is discussed as well.
What is the best natural history museum in the world?
World’s Best Natural History Museums With Kids
- American Museum of Natural History* – New York City, New York.
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science* – Denver, Colorado.
- National Museum of Natural History and Science* – Tokyo, Japan.
- Natural History Museum – London, England.
- Natural History Museum – Vienna, Austria.
- Natural History Museum of Marseille- Marseille, France.
Is the American Museum of Natural History the largest museum in the world?
The American Museum of Natural History (abbreviated as AMNH), located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, New York City, is one of the largest natural history museums in the world.
How big is the Smithsonian Museum?
Eleven of the 19 Smithsonian Institution museums and galleries are at the National Mall in Washington D.C., the open-area national park in Washington, D.C. running between the Lincoln Memorial and the United States Capitol, with the Washington Monument providing a division slightly west of the center.
How many museums are in Italy?
Museums, Archeological Areas and Monuments in Italy. 4,588 museums and similar institutions, both public and private, were open to the public in Italy in 2011: they included 3,847 museums, galleries or collections, 240 archaelogical areas or parks and 501 monuments or monumental compounds.
Where are the best museums in Italy?
Top Five Museums in Italy
- Galleria degli Uffizi, Florence. The Uffizi Gallery is one of the oldest museums in the world.
- Museo Archeologico Nazionale di Napoli, Naples. The National Archaeological Museum of Naples is Italy’s most important archaeological museum.
- Museo Egizio, Turin.
- Museo Ferrari, Maranello.
- Musei Vaticani, Rome.
What is included in the Vatican Museums?
In this article we present a selection of some of the main points of interest: some kind of Best Of the Vatican Museums.
- VATICAN MUSEUMS: THE PINACOTECA.
- THE PIO-CLEMENTINO MUSEUM.
- GREGORIAN EGIPTIAN MUSEUM.
- GALLERY OF GEOGRAFIC MAPS.
- THE PAVILION OF THE COACHES.
- RAPHAEL’S ROOMS.
- THE HELICAL STAIRCASE.
Photo in the article by “Wikimedia Commons”